Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Until I Really Knew A Cop

There are a few things that I have learned since I have had the opportunity to get close to an officer.

1.) Being searched and handcuffed is very uncomfortable and very intrusive. Even when its your cadet husband practicing for his academy scenarios and you are dressed in your PJ's in the middle of your living room.  It still feels violating and I cannot imagine going through it "for real".

2.) Routine traffic stops are dangerous. And the cop is calculating your every move as he/she approaches your vehicle. Keep your hands on your wheel.

3.) While "quotas" may not exist (at least not in Baytown) every ticket written equals a potential 4+ hours of overtime for the officer........

4.) All cops are "jerks" unless you need them to come protect you, then magically they are "actually not that bad" or "actually a nice cop".

5.) Officers are not interested in hearing your "jerk" cop stories. Ever. (And their wives are even more annoyed by them.)

So this is the start of my list. It has been interesting being introduced to the LEO life.

5 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. Until I really, really was getting serious about getting a job as a police officer, I hadn't spent much time around police officers. Once I started making friends on the force, it became pretty clear to me that there is a lot that the outside world does not know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list. AMEN to all of it! :) Especially #5. I can't believe how upset I get when people start talking bad about cops. Like my closest girlfriends. Of course I never say anything because there really isn't any point. they don't get it. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just coming here to basically echo Mrs. Fuzz's comment verbatim - I get really irritated when people criticize police officers too now, even when I myself have similar sentiments (NYPD rape cops, anyone?). I think it's because I'm enraged at the bad apples giving the rest of the force a bad reputation and making it harder for victims to seek help, whereas "other people" seem to make comments that paint all cops with the same bad brush. Off-topic rant - sorry!! Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband has a T-shirt that says:
    Don't Like Cops? Next time you're in trouble, call a Crack Head!

    I love it...
    :) Stella

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings! What's your opinion on who is your blog's average reader?

    ReplyDelete