Monday, January 30, 2012

Analyzing My Cop

Comedic:  When CA Cop's partner shows up to back him up on a domestic call and the greasy pot head exclaims "Oh great that's all this world needs- more cops!"

Exhausting:  When CA Cop's department schedules 30 hours of class during his 3 days off- twice in one month.  Overtime pay is nice, but so is sleep.

Frustrating: When the young woman was beaten so badly during the rape that she is unconscious and the hospital refuses to do a rape kit without her consent.

Haunting: The bloated, decomposing face of the suicide victim, mouth open, left arm sticking straight up into the air.

Enraging: When CA Cop assisted the nine year old girl out  from the back passenger seat of the SUV her plastered mother was driving around town.  The mother so drunk that vomit stuck in her stringy blond hair and dripped onto her jeans as she swerved through the city streets.

Empowering: CA Cop hearing the sound of his cuffs clicking tightly on the wrists of one of the home burglary suspects, the thug's elbows raw and bleeding from the pavement they just encountered during the struggle.


Creating this list puts things into perspective for me as a Cop's wife. I know my job description better when I can sit back and analyze his.
I think that our home needs to be a place where he can find warmth, joy in his children, and some feet up relaxation time.  I will do my best with this in mind because I can only imagine what he carries on his mind.

2 comments:

  1. Since we are still so new to this life- I found this an excellent post. A reminder to be the wife he needs when he comes through that door. (even if I am walking out the door to work) Two days ago he sat in the bathroom telling me about his night while I was finishing my shower. I try to remind myself how he needs me to be there to let him decompress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...it's always nice to find that balance between being the wife he needs (as a cop) and having the husband you need. We just attended a seminar put together by The Lion's department about the emotional survival of police officers and how it's just as important for the officer to remember that he has to protect his relationships and his emotional safety as much as he has to protect his physical safety. Unfortunately, we attended it the morning after he'd worked an extra job and he was pretty tired and cranky.

    ReplyDelete